Tuesday, January 3, 2023

#dungeon23 1-3: A Secret Door!

 The party, having explored the abandoned guard chamber discovers the south wall to be colder than the rest. Further examinations reveal a secret door! Opening it, they are greeted by a blast of cold air. For a moment all is still before the sounds of scraping begin to emanate from within. Another moment passes and squat shapes emerge from the gloom - zombified dwarves wielding battle axes!!


Secret doors have always been a fun thing to find in dungeons and I didn't want to wait too long to reveal my first one. That the treasure hidden behind it is not gold or jewels but delicious meats and cheeses is, I think, a nice twist. But, of course, the food has long wasted away as have the unfortunate dwarves who now guard the place in their undead state. 

The dwarves are my second encounter, following the vine in the entrance. I'm trying to maintain a nice balance between encounters, traps and empty rooms. And above all I want there to be something in each room. I grew up in the day where AD&D modules frequently had "This room is empty." in their dungeons. I'd like to avoid that as much as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment